Kidneys are bean-shaped organ & located behind our abdominal organs, with one kidney on each side of the spine. Kidneys remove extra fluid from our body. It also helps remove acid produced by our body cells & maintains a healthy balance of salts, water, & minerals in the body.
What is Kidney Cancer?
Kidney cancer is also said to be renal cell carcinoma. Malignancy of kidney cells results in kidney cancer. The uncontrollably growing kidney cells cause malignancy & thus, kidney cancer is caused. Kidney cancer can be dangerous to your health if not treated properly as it can cause kidney failure.
Symptoms of kidney cancer
The following are the early signs of kidney cancer
- Blood in urine
- Pressure in the side or back
- Swelling of the ankle or leg
- High blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Lump inside or abdomen
Risk Factors for Kidney Cancer
Many factors can increase the chances of kidney cancer. The following are the risk factors for kidney cancer:-
The habit of smoking is very dangerous not only for kidney cancer but also for other diseases. Daily smoking can increase the chances of kidney cancer.
An overweight person is at a high risk of kidney cancer. Obesity can cause changes in certain hormones that can result in kidney cancer.
- High blood pressure
The chance of kidney cancer is higher in people with high blood pressure. Frequent high blood pressure issues can cause kidney cancer.
- Family history of kidney cancer
People with a strong family history of kidney cancer have higher chances of developing this cancer.
The risk of kidney cancer is more in men as compared to women. As most of the men have smoking habits than women.
- Certain medicines
Having painkillers (acetaminophen) can also cause kidney cancer. Painkillers have a direct impact on kidneys.
- Advanced kidney disease
People with advanced kidney disease, especially those needing dialysis, have a higher chance of kidney cancer.
- Genetic and hereditary risk factors
Some people inherit genes that can increase their chances of developing kidney cancer.
- Cowden syndrome
People with Cowden syndrome have a high risk of thyroid, breast and kidney cancers. It is linked to changes in the PTEN gene.
Tips to keep your kidney healthy
- Avoid smoking & drinking alcohol
- Eat healthy food
- Keep active & fit
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Drink enough water
- Have your kidney function tested if at high risk
- Be assured of the OTC pills you take
- Do exercise daily
- Control your blood sugar
Staging of Kidney Cancer
There are mainly four stages of kidney cancer. It is important to know all the stages so that you can take necessary precautions & be well prepared for that. The stages of cancer can be explained as TNM system where
T- Tumor stage first
N- Tumor spread in nodes
M– Cancer has metastasised
At the very first stage, the tumour is merely 7 centimetres long. It is most certainly located in the kidney itself.
The tumour is no longer than 7 centimetre but hasn’t yet spread to other organs. This stage has only minor differences compared to the first stage.
In the third stage, the tumour starts spreading into other organs of the body. The patient would witness the progress of the tumour in any of the following ways-
- The tumour is in at least one lymph node, in addition to the kidney.
- The tumour in the kidney’s main blood vessel and also nearby the lymph node.
- The tumour in the fatty tissue & nearby the lymph node
Stage 4 of kidney cancer is the most advanced form of the disease. It is a very dangerous stage & demands immediate medical care. The tumour spread beyond fatty layers of tissues around the kidney & nearby lymph nodes at this stage. The tumour might spread to organs like- pancreas, bowel or even the lungs.
Stage 1 & 2-
If detected at an early stage like 1 or 2, the patient has a 93% chance of recovery from kidney cancer.
At the 3rd stage of kidney cancer, patients have 70% chances of survival & they will be recovered.
At the 3rd stage of kidney cancer, patients have 12% chances of survival.
Treatment Options for Kidney Cancer
Depending on the stage of your kidney cancer, the doctors suggest surgical & non-surgical treatment.
Surgical treatment- In surgical treatment, surgery has to be done to remove the tumour. Surgical treatment can be of two types & that are as follows:-
- Radical Nephrectomy attempts to take out the entire kidney, lymph nodes, infected tissues, and adrenal glands. It is generally performed when the tumour is only in the kidney & not in other organs. It carries a potential risk of complications like- bleeding or infection.
- Partial Nephrectomy- it is more suitable for patients with small tumours. It strives to remove the tumour from the kidney and tissue around. In this, only the cancerous tumour or diseased part is removed. It is generally recommended to the people whose tumour is not yet spread to other organs.
Non- surgical treatments- in a non-surgical procedure, the tumour cells are killed without performing any surgery.
- Cryoablation- It effectively treats tumours by freezing the cancerous cells. With the use of a hollow needle, fluid is circulated to kill the tumour cell. It is generally recommended for small kidney tumours. The patients may suffer from pain or face damage to the treated kidney or infection after the cryoablation process.
- Radiofrequency ablation-It is also known as radiofrequency neurotomy. In this, the cancer cell kills with an electric current. A needle is passed through the skin to locate the tumour, centimetres, and then an electric current is passed through the electrode in a needle to kill the tumour.
How Dr Sandeep Nunia Can Help You To Treat Your Kidney Cancer in Jaipur
If you are looking for the best kidney specialists in Jaipur, then Dr Sandeep Nunia is one of the best urologists or kidney specialists in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Performing several thousands of kidney transplants and other kidney procedures, he sets a benchmark in the healthcare and medical sector. Moreover, he is a remarkable personality with sympathetic nature, which helps his patients to discuss the conditions freely, and his experience is such that he understands the problem in no time and renders the best suitable and affordable solutions to the patients, which results in the best kidney cancer treatment in Jaipur.